Let Our Chapel Hill Ophthalmology Team Help You Make The Right Choice Between Contact Lenses & Eyeglasses
If you are trying to choose between traditional eyeglasses and contact lenses the helpful staff at Chapel Hill Vision Clinic can help. Our ophthalmologist can determine if you can wear contacts and then it is up to you. We have helped the Chapel Hill area of Colorado Springs for more than three decades and we can help you too.
Traditional Eyeglasses vs. Contact Lenses
The decision is often a matter of choice. The list below presents the pros and cons of each option to help you make that choice.
Pros of Eyeglasses:
- Require little cleaning comparatively
- Decreases the risk of eye infections because there is no need to touch the eye
- Cheaper in the long run than contact lenses
- Can adjust the amount of light entering your eye – photochromatic lenses – while contacts cannot
- Does not exacerbate sensitive or dry eyes
- Offers protection from environmental factors like dust, debris, and wind
- Frames offer a fashionable way to express oneself and are an extension of one’s personality
Cons of Eyeglasses:
- Distorts peripheral vision due to lack of corrective lens coverage
- Strong prescriptions might unnaturally magnify or minify eyes
- Frames may hide features
- Weather conditions such as rain can cause blurring, also prone to fogging up
- Some frames tend to put constant pressure on the ears and bridge of the nose that can lead to general discomfort and headaches
Pros of Contact Lenses:
- Conform to the curvature of the eye to provide a wider field of vision
- Do not get in the way of playing sports or exercising
- Never clash with your outfit
- Are not affected by any type of weather
- Can change your eye color
- Some reshape the cornea (orthokeratology) to temporarily correct myopia overnight
Cons of Contact Lenses:
- Difficult for some to insert and remove
- Can increase the severity of dry eye
- Less oxygen reaches the eye
- Worsens the symptoms of Computer Vision Syndrome
- Daily care and cleaning (the advent of disposable lenses has reduced this)
Schedule An Appointment With Chapel Hill Ophthalmology Today!
Want to know more? Stop by the Chapel Hills Vision Clinic in Colorado Springs, call our friendly professional staff at 919-942-8701, or visit us online to schedule an appointment today.